I tried to look for what users wanted in such an application and what the core problems were. For example, users found it difficult to switch to a calendar-mode from an ordinary list. The switch-button was small and was hidden amongst other buttons. I made a hierarchy of buttons in order to look for priorities within the design system. I started working on wireframes with different designs based on that hierarchy and as a result, the design was visually less convoluted because of it.
Because of the hierarchy, I became aware that I had to look at the user’s workflow. I worked on a multiple page sitemap of the current workflow and corresponding pages. A lot of goals were put far away in the workflow and as a user, you had to go through multiple pages with actions and buttons in order to achieve a specific goal. I worked with a system of modal dialogs and inline editing to optimize the workflow. Discussions with the development team and the CEO and a lot of small iterations and inspiration of other tools were done in order to solve these problems.